Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Milestones

It's funny how things that I used to take for granted I now view as milestones in my recovery. And, interestingly some milestones are probably perceived as insignificant by many people. The past week (especially the weekend) saw several new milestones for me. For example;
- About a week ago I moved from a walker to a cane to assist my mobility.
- Last Thursday night we went out to eat with friends for Connie's birthday (my first time in public). The car ride & sitting in the chair caused me to be awake most of the night coping with pain but it was worth it. We have some terrific friends.
- Friday afternoon I walked out to the front yard and saw our neighbor Tom (two houses down) working in his front yard. I walked down and chatted with him for about 5 minutes before walking home and collapsing in my recliner exhausted but happy. My first venture out of my yard! & did a repeat on Sunday with the next door neighbor Buddy.
- I started walking to the bathroom and standing long enough to brush my teeth & shave. Takes a couple of chores off of Connie.
- Rode to the bank with Connie yesterday & happy to report that, although it's a short drive, I suffered more discomfort than real pain.

My milestones might seem ridiculous to many but to me they are signs of progress. I am coming to grips with the JPS doctor's estimate that it will take at least 6 months to recover. At the time, I just couldn't believe that it would take me so long to recover but now I am much more realistic about the recovery time. I'm happy to be alive and trending in the right direction!

The best things about my recovery are the visits & phone calls from friends and family so don't forget me!!!

Duaine

1 comment:

Ashley said...

you probably don't remember me coming to visit you in the hospital! :) you seemed pretty drugged and out of it, although connie and jeremy said that you were doing much better by then. i'm glad to see the optimism in your recovery. it's so easy to slip back the other way with it. :) hope to see ya soon!